Thursday, April 16, 2015

Thursday Review: Stylebook

Hey guys!
I mentioned back on Monday that I've started using an app called Stylebook. Now that I've had a chance to play around with it more, I'd like to share my thoughts with you so that hopefully you are able to decide if this app is for you.
I am not being paid, sponsored, or arm-twisted to say anything, so please know this is my honest opinion.

The Basics
Stylebook is an app that allows you to have a virtual version of your own wardrobe. You can organize your clothes in your "closet" and create outfits with those items. If you're really organized, you can even use a calendar to track when you have worn particular outfits. Other parts of the app allow you to put in information about pieces such as cost, washing instructions, and even if the piece is clean, dirty, or at the dry cleaners. You can also store inspiration photos, add items from retailer's websites, and use the app to plan your packing for a trip. I know there are other features I haven't tried yet, so check out their website for a complete list.

What I Like
The first step in using the app is to take pictures of your clothing, shoes, bags, and accessories. What I like about this process is that the app automatically removes the background if the clothes are a solid color and have been placed against a contrasting background.
Once the items are in your "closet" things get really fun. Bored? Make an outfit. New shirt? Make an outfit. Red light? Make an outfit. It's as addictive as Instagram or Pinterest, I swear.
Another thing I really like about the app is it takes some of the work out of trying to find a new way to wear an item. Instead of unloading your entire closet onto your floor, use the app to see how things go together. It's also good for remembering what's at the back of your closet that you never see at a glance.
A great way to transfer your closet to your virtual closet is to enlist the help of a friend. For instance, I took pictures of about 50 tops and threw them in a pile and then my amazing husband put them all back on hangers for me once I realized I was in over my head. :) He's the best.

What I'm Not So Crazy About
I mentioned before the app is good at removing the background for some items, well it's positively torture for others. Taking photos of about half my closet took over 4 hours, and I still haven't added a third of my shoes, bags, or accessories. The reason why it takes so long is because the app simply refuses to help out on items that are patterned with a light and dark color, jewelry, and nude shoes. No matter what color fabric I lay some items on, the app thinks necklace chains should be invisible, that the nude shoes are the same color as a white sheet, or that half of a pattern is actually a cut-out. Yes, it is possible to manually remove the background, but think about it. Simply finger-writing a message on Snapchat is a sloppy process, and I'm supposed to use that same finger-tracing-talent to carefully edge around half of my closet? No thank you.
And that is really my only complaint. I love everything about the app and fully believe it's worth the $3.99 charge. Just be prepared to have trouble adding certain items to your closet.

Below are some screenshots of my own Stylebook to help you get an idea of what the app looks like with a real-life user. I would love to answer any questions you have or be able to hear your own thoughts on the app or this review. Please leave me a comment below.


(Above)From left to right: A screenshot of an outfit, a screenshot of some daytime looks, a screenshot of another outfit. I know, you never could have guessed that.


There's a shot of a screen full of tops, an outfit, and a screen full of bottoms. You can organize by specific type, or view all.

I hope you found this review helpful or at least entertaining. Tomorrow I will be back to your regularly scheduled program of me wearing outfits. Have a great Thursday!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Stephanie! I came across your post about Stylebook on Instagram because you tagged us. Thanks so much for the kind words - your outfits look awesome!

    Also, I can definitely help you with taking pictures of patterned clothes. I demonstrate how to do this in a how-to video where I photograph a blue, red, and white sweater. Basically, you need the background to be a completely different color from ALL the colors in the pattern. For example, a black and white skirt would photograph well on a leaf green background, since green isn't remotely similar to either color. On the other hand, beige, light grey, navy, etc. wouldn't work for the same item because those colors can look similar to the black and white skirt in a photo. That rule also applies to your nude pumps. A white background is too light. You'll want to use something significantly darker like cobalt blue, leaf green or apple red (colors usually work better than black).

    Also, make sure that the background completely covers the entire photo, if the surrounding floor is visible at the edges of the picture, the removal tools will have trouble. Another tip is to always use a very smooth background - fleece blankets, carpet, or other textured backgrounds don't work well even if they are the correct color.

    Anyway, I hope those tips help and if you ever run into problems email our support team and they can help you figure out any app problems! You can even send them a photo that didn't come out right and they can give you personalized tips.

    Thanks again for writing about us!

    Best,
    Jess, Stylebook Team

    Video of photographing patterned sweater for Stylebook: http://www.stylebookapp.com/demos.html#bgtips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess!

      Thank you so much for those tips! That video actually helped a lot. I mainly used a white sheet or wood floors, so I'm sure the yellow sheet would provide better contrast for tops. I'll have to hunt down some more colorful sheets for my shoes. Are there tips about removing the background on jewelry photos?

      I truly appreciate you taking the time to leave this comment and to provide such helpful tips. I'm enjoying this app and can't wait to import my entire wardrobe. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that I was able to help! It really makes my day to see how different people use the app successfully.

    I bought my sheet at Target. They have a really big selection of solid color, single flat sheets and they're pretty inexpensive. If you find them at your local store, buy a bright solid color that you wear the least. I chose yellow because I wear mostly black, navy and white. (Wood floors definitely won't work since they usually a texture, pattern, and reflective.)

    Jewelry can definitely be tricky since it's so tiny. The iPhone can have trouble taking a clear image of tiny objects, especially at close range. Although it helps to wipe off your iPhone camera lens. The thing that helps me the most is using a digital camera to get sharper photos. (Blurry photos will be more difficult to edit.)

    You can see more tips on taking and editing pics of jewelry on our blog:

    How To Photograph Jewelry and Clothes:
    https://stylebookapptips.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/how-to-take-photos-like-the-examples-pro-photo-styling-tips-for-stylebook/

    If you bought the items recently you could also add a store photo from the shopping section. I bet you'll find what you're looking for, because there are over a million items in the shopping catalog from popular stores like Nordstrom, J.Crew, Forever21, Kate Spade, etc.

    How To Add Photos From Stores:
    https://stylebookapptips.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/add-clothes-without-taking-pictures/

    Have fun finishing up your closet!

    - Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the app for a while but haven't started using it consistently until now. I'm loving the ability to calendar out outfits because it seriously makes getting ready in the morning so much quicker! I knew I wouldn't be able to take good pictures of the actual clothes in my closet, so I looked on Polyvore for similar items that already had a white background, or I looked on H&M.com and Topshop because they photograph all of their clothing with a white background!

    The Blissful Mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polyvore is a great idea! I hadn't thought of that. Taking photos of your entire closet is extremely time consuming so I think I should try your method. Good tip! I've been using the calendaring part too. It's so great. :)

      Delete
  4. Great job, thanks for the effort you have made, going to look for an android version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This review is so helpful! I've been curious about the background remover, because I have a free app and it's so difficult to remove the background!! So thank you for the screenshots, that's exactly what I was looking for!!

    ReplyDelete