Friday, May 8, 2015

New Favorite Room

I love my home and take pride in keeping it clean and organized, but since Dan and I moved into this cute but small house, two rooms in particular have been difficult to declutter for good: our bedroom and our office. The bedroom was our smaller room with a closet that only fit my clothes, and just barely. Throughout the week, more clothes, shoes, and bags would somehow end up strewn across the room rather than tucked back into the closet, and outfit planning covered the bed on weekends. In addition to all that mess, I have a very girly style and enjoy lots of white furniture, displayed jewelry, and candles everywhere. Dan has patiently dealt with it, even though I know he'd prefer all dark everything with zero glitter. I guess he knows that's what you get when you marry a girl and let her keep all her single-girl stuff, but I appreciate his acceptance all the same.
The office was a whole other problem. Two desks, an almost broken recliner, and a closet full of Dan's clothes (which never quite stayed in there either, mind you) and basically any other stuff that we couldn't find a place for. The office, as we called it, was typically so cluttered I couldn't go in there without going on OCD-must-clean-everything mode, and Dan prefers to take the lap top into our den anyways. Two rooms, both jam packed, neither serving much of a purpose.
Until now.
This closet transformation was actually Dan's idea. We were talking about switching our bedroom to the bigger room and making the smaller the office when Dan said, "what if we only moved your desk in there and you made it a fashion room or something." I get a walk-in closet, and Dan gets a less girly house by sticking all the frills in one room. Win-Win! The new room came together very quickly with the help of Pinterest inspiration. I knew I wanted a full-length mirror because up until now, I've only been able to see my whole outfit when I post it on the blog. A shoe shelf is something that is so indulgent I felt guilty even wanting it, but I found this one for a fair price and talked myself into it by thinking of future uses (guest towel shelf in the bathroom, cute kitchen shelving for Anthropologie mixing bowls, to organize baby stuff in the nursery far in the future, etc.) The easiest part of the room, and the first step, was the garment rack. As you can tell, my closet is stuffed, and with a stuffed closet it's 1) hard to see what I have and 2)inevitable that clothing will get wrinkled. With the garment rack, I can either pull out pieces for remixing or curate outfits for the week.
Everything else I already had, like the desk, dresser, and cork-board-turned-necklace-holder. Honestly, I could not be more happy with how the room turned out. And in case you're wondering, the bedroom (not pictured) is also neat, tidy, and (to Dan's delight) completely un-girly now.

No comments:

Post a Comment