Friday, August 7, 2015

Fun Pants

When I first started teaching, I wasn't sure what to wear. It wasn't that I didn't know how to dress or that I didn't have clothes, I simply didn't know what I would want to wear. I wore dresses with flats and sweaters and ended up feeling matronly. Then I tried trousers with heels and couldn't walk because of blisters by the third period. All I knew for sure is that I didn't want to "look like a teacher." One of the first backhanded compliments I received from a student, and there have been many, was that I dressed cute "for a teacher." I'm not saying it's fair, but teachers get a bad rap for dressing for comfort instead of style. And I get it! We are a tired, broke people for the most part. But I enjoy getting dressed and I do a better job when I start my day confident I look my best. That's why I want to give a big thank you to the saint who invented the cropped pant.

Unlike trousers which require a heel, cropped pants work with flats or wedges. I want to like what I wear to work, so when I find a fun pair of pants at a great price, I snatch them up. This particular pair is the Riviera Pant from Loft, which is currently on sale, and I was able to snatch them up for $20 last week. Sure, they've only been in my life for a short time, but I can already tell they will be a favorite item in my work wardrobe.

5 comments:

  1. Yep, if I'm wearing dress pants I pretty much ONLY wear cropped ones because they're so versatile. (I'm not a teacher, but it works for me too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it definitely goes beyond just the teaching field. Cropped pants are such a good option for a nice but casual look. :)

      Delete
  2. I can't stand the typical teacher grad of baggy dress pants, ugly shoes, and nondescript shirts. I think that a well-fitting pair of cropped slacks are just the thing for teachers, but only if they have some stretch! I found that out the hard way last year when I bought a ton of pants on sale from Gap but they didn't have any stretch and therefore lasted a short time in my closet, considering I'm up and down off the carpet all day! Are these Loft trousers stretchy at all? I think if they're that fitted they have to be! My local Loft has an excellent color selection for their slacks, I might have to stop by!

    Kate
    kateintheclassroom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I hate pants with no stretch! Pretty much all my work pants come from Loft because they have stretch, and are therefore more comfortable and keep their shape. The one exception is a pair from Banana Republic made from a an extremely thick but stretchy fabric that I LOVE. They're the Sloan fit I believe. So good!

      Delete
  3. Hi! I just wanted to say thanks for sharing these posts! I love your style and it will definitely help me as I gear up for the start of the school year (in Canada!) Also I totally agree... teachers deserve to be stylish and the cropped pant is a gem.

    ReplyDelete