Monday, June 8, 2015

Garden Gingham

Sunday was Dan and my one year anniversary. We started planning months ago, tossing ideas around to see what stuck. Going away for the weekend was out of the question because of Dan's new job, so I decided to poll my friends for ideas. I heard a ton of great suggestions of places to visit for the day, but having grown up in Florida, none of them were places I'd never been. Then a friend recommended the Marie Selby Botanical Garden in Sarasota. I looked on their website and was instantly hooked! I believe that gardens and flowers are innately romantic, so when Dan agreed that it would be fun, I started making plans.

When I plan, I tend to envision exactly what I want and then run the risk of getting disappointed when reality doesn't match my vision. For some reason, every time I thought about the plans (the drive, a local flea market, a picnic, then the garden and a romantic dinner) I kept picturing myself in a gingham dress! I can't explain it, I just did. Then, when I began searching for the perfect dress, I found it doesn't really exist. I'll probably have to sew it myself at some point, but for the day I had to settle for this gingham shirt. The shirt itself is not a letdown. It's light, airy, and ties like it was meant to, so I have no complaints about the shirt except that it isn't a dress. Shirt/Dress issue aside, which is so minor, our day was perfect. The garden was absolutely gorgeous, with a greenhouse, mini rain forest, bamboo garden with a Koi pond, and so much more. If you get a chance, I'd definitely recommend it as a great way to spend an afternoon.

Have a very happy Monday and I'll see you tomorrow!

[Top and skirt are Loft: shirt is not available online yet]

2 comments:

  1. The koi are so close to you! Those pictures of them are amazing! I wanted a gingham shirt all fall and never found one! Guess I should get a summer version now instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool! I guess they let people feed the Koi, so as soon as you walk up to the edge they all swim over lol. I love a good piece of gingham clothing so I'm not sure why it's so difficult to find them. I wish you better luck this summer. :)

      Delete