Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Importance of Second Chances

The first time I wore this shirt was on a teacher training day. I remember that clearly because I also had on boyfriend jeans and Sperry's boat shoes, and when I looked down I realized that my outfit could be worn by a hipster boy. For that reason this shirt immediately went in my "must never wear again, please donate" pile. But somehow it kept avoiding my donation drop-offs, probably because Dan loves this shirt and so I had trouble parting with it even though I would never wear it. Then something magical happened. I've been trying really hard not to shop as much and that has pushed me to start searching for new ways to wear items. I love this skirt, but always seem to wear it the same way (with chambray) so I wanted to find a new option. As I flipped through shirt after shirt, I finally reached this blue and red polka dot number from Old Navy stuffed in the back of my closet and decided to give it a chance to redeem itself. And that's how this perfectly preppy look came together.

I guess what I've learned is that if you pair a boyish button-down with boyfriend jeans and unisex shoes, you're pretty much asking to look like a man. But if you take that same shirt and girly it up with a skirt and red lips, it can actually work out okay. I probably should have figured this out sooner, but better late than never, right?

Shop my look: similar skirt / similar top / MK Bag / Lipstick in "Beso" / Similar Sperrys

4 comments:

  1. So cute! I love collared shirts that are dressed up like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this look! I'm a huge fan of polka dots and I love the bright skirt. I love that bag too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute way of styling the button down. You look cute!
    Rachel xo
    http://www.garaytreasures.com/2015/07/takingoutfitshotsasamom/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that top from Old Navy? It looks similar to one I got there, which is the most versatile and lovely thing ever. I have to admit, I totally love styling buttondowns with boyfriend jeans and oxfords - it's fun to embrace the menswear inspired look. But this is lovely!

    ReplyDelete