Thursday, July 16, 2015

Give Yourself a Hug

One of the funniest things about working in retail is hearing people criticize the items I own and love. Take this top for example. The second I saw it in our store I had to try it on and then BAM I had a new favorite top. The back is my favorite part, but I also love the loose shape. So naturally I'vea been shocked to hear the reactions of clients who try on the piece. I hear a lot of "ew, it looks like a maternity top on me" from super skinny ladies who no one would guess to be pregnant, and also some "I hate how it makes my arms look" from other people. Remember that emerald dress I wore recently? I had one lady tell me it made her look like a sack of potatoes and that there's no way anyone would actually feel good wearing it. These comments amuse me because I feel great in both pieces, but they also make me worry about the body image problems so many women have.

I don't buy into all that body shaming, thin shaming, fat shaming, or whatever the current trend is, but I do think it's important to consider how women feel about their bodies. In retail I've heard everything from "it made my fat rolls show" to "my ankles look fat in these pants." Believe me, I'm as quick as anyone to judge myself based on how I look trying on clothes, but I feel like there's a pretty obvious fact to consider. If every single piece of clothing was perfect on my body type, what would the other 100 body types wear? Is it really fair to hate and blame my body for not fitting into everything when not everything was made to fit my body? And on the flip side, is it realistic to get angry with clothing companies for not making everything to fit my body when I'm not the only body type out there? Every time we criticize our bodies somebody is watching. When I think about being a mom one day, it breaks my heart to think about having a daughter who feels like she can't be happy with her body without being some sort of freak in our culture. If you're healthy and taking care of your body, you have every right to like what it is and rejoice in how you were created without having people think you're conceited, and I want my daughter to know that. So here's my message to my clients and all the ladies out there: you are beautiful because of who you are inside and no piece of clothing can change that. If what you tried on doesn't work, there are hundreds of other pieces that will. Smile, shrug it off, and go ask the nice shop girl what other clothes she recommends (because I'm always happy to help!).

My top is currently sold out online, but it's definitely still in stores and should be back online soon!

Shop My Look: Similar T-back Top / White Jeans

10 comments:

  1. Great message! I totally agree. Women are just too hard on themselves.

    felizcyntia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting! I appreciate your feedback. :)

      Delete
  2. I love it! That is a great message to share :)

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    PS -- Love this top too! I can't imagine anyone not crushing on it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I love this top <3 I definitely wear it too often lol

      Delete
  3. This top looks so gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny because they first thing I thought when I came to this post is that I love EVERYTHING about that top! Color, pattern, shape, back, slit in the front... But I totally get it. There are things I love on the hanger and hate on my body, and things I don't like on the hanger, try on, and love. And I've definitely made comments like, "ew I look so ____" in this, even if it's internally. Since I've gotten older, I mostly just think, "Oh, this doesn't fit me" or "this just doesn't work for me." My mom never said anything negative about her body when I was growing up and I think that's so important. (Now we talk about the struggles of finding pants when you're pear-shaped though--but still no body hate!) I will definitely try my best to shield my (possible future) daughter from negative body talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mattie! It's awesome your mom was a good role model for you. We should definitely not be beating ourselves up over what works or doesn't work. There are plenty of clothes out there haha. Hopefully when we are moms in the future we can pass along a positive message. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't know how this top looked on your clients but it looks amazing on you. I think it's perfect with the white jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it works well for summer :) I'll probably pair it with dark pants and a blazer for colder weather.

      Delete